Sunday, September 16, 2012

Levitated Mass

Have you heard about that giant rock that's coming?

For months I would ask people this question, referring to the 340-ton granite boulder that was slowly making its way to LACMA. And after explaining what it was, I would later text them updates and pictures of it as it made its journey to the museum - as if they cared! I even tweeted a sneak peak of it thinking someone else might be excited like me.

After explaining it a few times, I noticed 3 common questions and have listed them, and my answers below. Hopefully now when I ask you if you've seen it, I won't get a blank stare.

Why are they bringing a giant boulder here?

- It was found fully intact, in one piece and it's, well, a piece of nature, I guess. It might be inspiring, like being out on a hike or in the woods or at the Grand Canyon. And a man named Michael Heizer made an place for it to sit on outside, so it will seem like its hanging in the air. They're calling it "Levitated Mass."

Who is paying for it?

-Private donors are paying for it, which is a relief at least. No one wants their tax money going towards a big rock. I still don't know how I feel about so much money (10 million) being spent on, well basically a rock. Why so expensive? The rock was around 70,000 and then to transport it to LACMA involved clearing a path, moving telephone wires...and then there were other expenses...


What is LACMA?

(Sigh) Is the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I'm sure you've seen it on Wilshire. It has all those lightbulbs outside.

So, it opened publicly June 24, 2012 and I saw it about two weeks after its debut. I have to say, it was really stunning. I'm surprised at how much time I took staring at it, walking around it, touching it... and I wasn't the only one. I was there on a slow day, in the late afternoon and there were at least 60 people mesmerized by it and taking pictures just like me. Even Jesus turned up.


Anywho, do take a moment to stop by LACMA (park on the street behind it to save some cash) and see this giant boulder. It's inexplicably inspiring.